1. How much does the average adult human brain weigh?
2. How much did Albert Einstein’s brain weight?
2.71 lbs, significantly less than the average human brain, but he had many more glial cells than average
3. At approximately what age does the brain stop growing?
18 years of age
4. The forebrain, which controls higher intellectual functions such as thinking, planning, and problem solving, is the largest in what species?
5. How many thoughts does the average person have per day?
6. How much of your body heat is lost through your head?
7. Label the brain
8. Which hemisphere of the brain has more neurons?
The left hemisphere has 186 million more neurons than the right hemisphere
9. How much blood flows through the brain per minute?
750-1000mL or 3 full soda cans
10. How long can the brain survive without oxygenated blood?
4-6 minutes before the cells begin to die. After 10 seconds you loose consciousness.
11. What is the longest living cell in your body?
Your brain cells can live up to an entire lifetime
12. How many brain cells (neurons) does the average human have?
13. Label the neuron
14. What is the name of the chemical signal used between neurons?
15. How long can a neuron be?
Around 15 feet in the Giraffe, from toe to neck
16. How many Brain Imaging Techniques can you name?
12 total: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI), Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI), Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy, Positron Emission Tomography (PET), Optical Intrinsic Signal (OIS), Computed Axial Tomography (CT), Diffuse Optical Imaging (DOI), Event-Related Optical Signal (EROS), Electroencephalography (EEG), Magnetoencephalography (MEG), Single Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT)
Click here to download a PDF of the LONI Brain Trivia Brochure
What travels faster, the fastest car in the world or a neuron signal?
A neural signal travels 260 mph. The Bugatti Veyron has clocked 267 mph